Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dusting off the Cobwebs...

For this past Christmas, my parents gave me a new Camera - yes... a capital "C" Camera, a Nikon D90. It kicks ass. I take it everywhere with me. I take lots of bad pictures. I love it.


But the camera? This camera....


It is smarter than me. And I hate that feeling.

I meet a professional photographer earlier this year and when I told her about my new camera, she kind of looked me up and down, then said, "That's what I use..."

So after playing around on my own, reading the manual, reading online tutorials, and asking others how to do things, I've signed up for a photography class.

Fortunately for me, I live near a major university town and they have a great continuing education center. Retired professors who love to teach continue to teach after retiring from a life of committee meetings, department politics and research requirements. They love to teach. I've taken several classes there and that's the common theme - it's obvious.

Last night was my first class... we have a project and a field trip! So fun. Plus he knows what he's talking about and he speaks in layman's terms (problem 1 with this manual). I'm excited to hear what he has to say about my shots and how much it will help me improve. I know it will.

Plus, I'm such a nerd. Sitting attentively and taking notes last night, it felt good to be back in a classroom. I love to learn. I'm not a routine person and I definitely don't get excited about doing the same thing in my job over and over again. But a classroom? With information I don't already have? That turns me on.
Sad. But so True...

No comments: