Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Footprints in the Sand

"And I'll carry you, when you need a friend, You'll find my footprints in the Sand" - Leona Lewis



This post is coming from the top deck of a gorgeous home on the beautiful, idyllic St. George Island off the forgotten coast of Florida, courtesy of my good friend Allison and her mother. For the past couple of days, we've layed in the sun, cooked fresh seafood, admired the wildlife and the sunsets, played games, read alot and have been lazy. I've loved every moment of it.

And we're here for a week! So far, this morning, I've gotten up, put on my swimsuit, lathered up in sunscreen, eaten breakfast and it's only 10am... After this post, I have the tough decision of snoozing in the sun by the pool or walking down to the dock to lounge. Life is rough right now, wink, wink.

For those of you who've never heard of St. George Island, please allow me to fill you in. It's a small, resort free island at the end of the Apalachicola River and National Forest and it's one of the most ecologiacally diverse and significant natural areas in the Southeast.* It boasts 22 miles of gorgeous white sand beaches and there's only a small commercial area with an inn, some restaurants, and some small shops. Centrally located is the historic lighthouse, alerting fisherman of the barrier island, and providing the only building taller than 3 stories. Most of the island's buildings are single family homes which see the same families return year after year to rest and relax in a safe and easy atmosphere.


I'm looking forward to visiting the state park which occupies one third of the island as a nature preserve and collecting the gorgeous seashells from the pristine beaches. Last night's menu was shrimp 'n' grits, the night before we delighted in the captain's platter at AJ's and I know I have some Apalachicola Oysters in my future. Excited for what else the week will bring.




*according to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection

**all pictures in this post were take with a Nikon D90 and edited with Lightroom2