Monday, February 15, 2010

Heaven in a Bowl

“Of all the items on the menu, soup is that which exacts the most delicate perfection and the strictest attention.”-Escoffier

Over the weekend, I discover a new recipe and I am in love with this soup. I usually go to the grocery store on Sundays* and as I was wondering around the produce department, I decided on potato soup. It's moments like this I love having a smart phone. This is the recipe I decided upon and while it has no health value, it is delicious.


Creamy Garlic Potato Soup

Ingredients -
4 (12 ounces) 99% Fat-Free Chicken Broth

2 (12 ounces) Evaporated Skim Milk
5 pounds Russet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 1/2 cups chopped Yellow or White Onion
8 slices cooked, crumbled Bacon
1 slice Ham Steak, chopped into 1/2" pieces
2 teaspoons diced Garlic
3 Bay Leaves
1 teaspoon Celery Seed
1 pint Whipping Cream
1/3 cup chopped Fresh Parsley

For garnish:
shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
chopped Green Onion

Preparation:

Saute the onions and garlic in butter or margarine over medium heat until translucent. Scrape them into the soup kettle, and turn on the heat to medium. Pour in the chicken broth and evaporated milk. Put in the potato pieces, bacon, ham pieces, bay leaves, celery seed and whipping cream. Bring to boil, and simmer until the potato is tender. Mash a dozen or so potato chunks against the side of the kettle and stir the pot to thicken the soup (you can mash more to make it thicker). Throw in the parlsey and stir, and return pot to simmer. Cut up some good rich bread, ladle the soup into your bowl. Sprinkle cheese and green onion on top to taste.

And it was yummie...

My only edits to the recipe are I would cook the bacon before getting started on the onions. That way they're ready when it's time to combine everything. I used parsley flakes versus fresh parsley and it didn't seem to affect it - I'm sure the fresh is better but I had to make do.



*except for when I need wine since I live in a backwards state with no liquor sales on Sundays

No comments: