Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mommy-Blogging

If pregnancy were a book they would cut the last two chapters. ~Nora Ephron, Heartburn, 1983

This post is not an attack on mommy bloggers, I read a lot of them. And one daddy blogger, Daddy Scratches. And I love them. I love the stories of the funny things the kids to, their constant brushes with insanity, and of course, their delight in becoming pregnant and adding to their family.

But People, PLEASE!!!

Remember there are some of us out here that need some of the magic of gestation to be a mystery still. Some of you are telling every, single little detail... Is this so we all can sympathize or are you trying to scare us all into keeping are legs crossed for the rest of our lives?

One of my new favorite bloggers, Becoming Sarah wrote this post about her blue va-jay-jay and I'm sure at least one of you out there thinks that the title should have been my warning. But I proceeded down that path. At my future babies' peril, I might add. Bruised and Blue? Thanks but no thanks, I'll take being an aunt any day.

There's a reason why no one tells you about the stretch marks and the hemroids, the gas and the alien inside you feeling... otherwise, 99% of women would NEVER do that. And yes, there are those freaky women who know and still have a baby but the rest of us, the sane ones of us out here would never get pregnant.

I have one friend who says she won't do it again and her baby's 9 months old, she did not enjoy being pregnant and she had a fairly easy pregnancy. But giving up her body for that 10 months (any young mom will correct you that it's actually 10 months) was hard and she thinks there are plenty of adoptable kids out there who need good homes. A thought process with some logic me thinks.

So, mommy bloggers, please post some warnings or tell us the good too... Or else soon, we'll have a definite drop in the amount of pregnant women out there and we'll all be blaming the leaky boob post for that.

2 comments:

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I certainly didn't mean to write anything discouraging. If it's any consolation, I would do the pregnancy thing a dozen times over.

The uncomfortable, weird things that nobody told me about are fun to write about because I know I'll forget about them later, but I exaggerate it. A lot. Overall, the experience of pregnancy is immensely rewarding and empowering and I've really enjoyed it. The kicks and the hiccups and the feeling of watching your body completely accommodate another being...it's all very amazing. I wouldn't trade these memories for the world, even if there's a little bruising here and there.

And to be fair, apparently the bruising happens to a tiny minority of women and it's not enormously uncomfortable. Papercuts are worse.

Again, though, I'm really sorry!

It Is What It Is said...

Oh silly, No need to apologize... I love your posts which is why I linked to them. I was teasing and of course, I recognize the exaggeration. I find them hilarious... then about 5 minutes later, I find myself thinking, does this really happen? I hope everything continues to go well and I will keep reading your stories.