Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Treeing

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game."
- Paul Rodriquez

This big tree sits in my front yard and whenever I let my pup out the front door, she beelines it to this tree. When we were outside over the weekend, I went over to the tree and tried to imagine what she sees.

Is it something like this? Or is it more? She has heightened senses of smell and sound that I can only imagine. So when she trees up a squirrel, does she know where he went and feels frustrated that her paws won't allow her to climb? Foiled Again! I imagine her thinking as she trots back to me.
And, in contrast to the quoted Mr. Rodriquez, I beg to differ that the squirrels in my yard aren't a part of the game. They taunt and dodge, squeak and tease as they run in and out of my pup's reach. They enjoy the back and forth. Or at least, seem to be laughing from my perch on the porch.

No comments: