Thursday, April 2, 2009

Life's About Change

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make new ending. - Maria Robinson

I love what I do, I really love what I do. I like my little corner of the business. And I'm good at it. I'm always trying to figure out how to do more of it and less of the other while becoming more independent from my family's business.

I love my family's business and what we do in the community. It's a retail based business with a healthcare twist so there's meaning behind our company besides "Spend! Spend! Spend!" However, it is a non-stop, have to be there, can't be gone very long business. Which makes me feel trapped and when I think of my future, I feel suffocated.

I remember a couple of years ago, I met a guy who said to me, "All I need is internet access and a cell phone and I can do my job from anywhere". I turned GREEN with envy. The freedom of that statement was SO appealing to me.

As I've gone along in life, working and building skills, exploring options and dreaming of a different life, I've been looking for a different path to take and a another way to make a living. I've talked to friends, friends of friends, random strangers, teachers, therapist, life coaches, mentors, parents, siblings, and boyfriends about my search. It's been an ongoing struggle and is constantly at the front of my mind.

BUT, today, it all changed. I was doing my job, talking to a sales rep as I arranged for a service for our business and she misunderstood my position within our business. As she explained what she thought I did, it was like a cartoon with a lightbulb above my head! I have a job idea. A way to combine my skills AND desires into my own business I could enjoy and grow. I was so excited and distracted about the idea that I blurted it to my mom when she asked if I had handled the service I was supposed to be ordering.

It's not a novel idea or anything new to the world, why I didn't think of it myself, I don't know but it seems perfect and I'm excited about figuring out how to make it work. Obviously more information will be forthcoming when I get more going but just know I'm brimming with possibilities.

No comments: