Tuesday, April 14, 2009

New York City!*

New York is the biggest collection of villages in the world.
- Alistair Cooke

I just returned from a go-go-go weekend in the city that never sleeps, NYC. From my wild cab ride into the city, to the Broadway play, to sitting in a cafe surrounded by three different languages, to the sight of taking off over the city of lights, I was in love. Cities have an energy not found in small town America... they take alot of energy and I am not fully recovered but I am in love.

I saw several friends and was a total tourist... I walked and walked until my feet were screaming and swollen. Then I walked some more. I window shopped on 5th Avenue, ate bagels and lox, watched street performers, had an outrageously priced dinner, danced until dawn, ate NY style pizza, walked through Times Square at midnight, viewed Macy's flower show, rode the subway and so much more.




It was so fun and it's so calming to be home again.


I went for a friend's bachelorette party, hence the dancing until dawn and outrageous dinners. I'm so glad I did. The bride to be is a friend from college and she's lived in London for the past eight years so the 20 or so girls there were from all over the world. Accomplished and intelligent ladies who were well read, well traveled and motivated to have a good time. It was a blast and I always walk away from these encounters in life more motivated to do something (anything) with my life.



Outside of the bachelorette party, I saw another frined from college and got to spend some great time with her. It was great to talk with her and catch up, see her life and find out how we had grown. Her sage advice and encouragement came at a needed time so I'm thankful for how everything went down.
I've always said I want to live in NYC at some point in my life... I think I've been putting it off in hopes I'll have more disposable income than I currently do. Everytime I go to the city, I come away with the desire to try it all... to act, to write, to work four jobs to be able to live in that amazing place. I love the passion eminating from the streets, the superiority complex shared by the citizens of that fair city, and the understanding shared by all that anything, and I mean ANYTHING is possible there. Because don't you know? "... if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere."



*In my mind, I'm saying that like the cowboys in the Pace Picante Salsa Commercial.

No comments: