Wednesday, April 16, 2008

RoadTrip!!!

Anyone that knows me knows that I enjoy a good roadtrip... I enjoy getting into the car and finding myself along the highway heading to the next great place. I get this from my parents who used to throw all of us in the backseat of our navy blue Volvo station wagon and head up to the north Georgia mountains for the fall apples or the low country of South Carolina or the Chatanoga Choo-Choo (I mean, how many other people do you know who have slept on that famous train?). I can jump in the car, put on some great music and keep myself happy for at least six hours.


In my almost (ahem! 21 days and counting!) 29 years, I've had the distinct privilage to visit several of our nation's most treasured monuments (Mt. Rushmore, Yosemite, etc.) and seen alot of the country. In fact I have been to all continuous 48 states - that's a piece of trivia for ya! I have lived in five states (GA, TN, CA, UT, IL and counting!) which also provided for several cross country trips. I take a different route each time I go somewhere in order to experience more of the country. I have some great pictures and some that just leave me confused... (where was I? who is that? what am I doing? what am I wearing? how much did I have to drink that night?)

I found out last week (thanks to MSN.com Travel articles) that I have missed several of the "MUST SEE" tourist attractions out there. They gave a list of 12 (some of which I have been too, The Hershey Museum is AWESOME!) but I've narrowed it down to my top three:


1. THE SPAM MUSEUM - the fact that people actually buy and then eat this product is more disgusting that I can even imagine. However, if there is one thing that I've learned in my life of retail and capitalism, it's that businesses don't stay in business if people don't buy the products. I actually am curious enough to make this a stop the next time I'm in Austin, Minnesota... the website is actually quite funny but beware, they are singing (yes, singing!!!) about spam.



2. The Vidalia Onion Museum - As my good friends know, I worship this perfect vegetable... if you sit down at my dinner table on any given night and twice on Sunday, somewhere in the menu, there will be Vidalia Onions. It is the perfect veggie and there isn't anything you can't do with them! Saute, fry, bake, grill... it's all good! I'm excited to report that the Vidalia Onion festival is going on next weekend when I will be in South Georgia so I will be in attendance (with my camera!). While I feel bad even putting it on the same list as the Spam Musuem (they aren't EVEN in the same category), I do have the same passion for seeing each site, just for COMPLETELY DIFFERENT reasons.






3. Dr. Pepper Museum - Another of the Lindsey classics, I adore a good DP! I have to give a salute to my friend, Ann Pampa and her greater commitment to his skinny sister, DDP as well. I don't know where they got the name, Dr. Pepper but this drink used to be called "Waco". I think I understand why they changed the name. I think another trip to Texas is necessary.


Well, that's it folks, the top 3 of totally random places that I will visit as soon as my life takes me near them.

Other weird/unique places that I have already been:
1. The Jelly Belly Factory
2. The original L.L. Bean store
3. The Okeefeenokee Swamp
4. Ben'n'Jerrys factory (on the ONLY day of the year they were NOT making ice cream!)
5. The Haunted Smith & Wesson Mansion


I actually highly recommend all the above... it's the random places like this that make our country interesting and what keeps me hitting the road time after time.

No comments: