Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Lauren!!!


Today is my younger sister's 26th Birthday.
I'm not allowed to call her my "little" sister anymore even thought she is still 6 inches shorter than me. Actually, I think it's because she's shorter that I'm not allowed to call her that. I still do but I'm not "allowed". You know how that goes in families :)


I love my younger sister, even though I constantly tease her, I love her. I've always been protective and concerned about her but that is my right as the older sister.


One of my earliest memories is standing on my tippy-toes to peer into the hospital nursery to see the little, squirmy swaddle of pink.




She and I rode to school together for years - that's not so different from other siblings but we had a 25 minute commute so we had lots of time in the car on a daily basis together. Sometimes we talked, we definitely fought, and somtimes she just slept while I drove.



One of my favorite stories about her is about driving to school one morning when she was wearing a linen dress - it was ironed and starched to perfection. So much so that she didn't want to wear her seatbelt while we were driving to school because it would wrinkle her dress and she absolutely refused to do so. I remember sitting in the driveway for a good 10 minutes, arguing before she pointed out that we were going to be late for school. The whole drive, I was telling her to put on her seatbelt and she was telling me to just focus on my driving. I admire her stubbornness.




I admire her talent and her passion - she's an architect and her job allows her to make the world more beautiful on a daily basis. Whether it's hanging pictures, arranging flowers, or restoring a school in New Orleans, she sees the world with an artist's eye and has the ability to make it a more beautiful place. She has that touch.


Plus she has liveliness which is inspiring and she's always on the move. Ready and willing to have a good time and make the situation fun. Adventurous, curious and accepting of the world, Lauren always has a plan for revelry.

Happy Birthday Lauren! I hope the year to come brings you life, love and good fortune.



No comments: