Friday, August 8, 2008

Growing Up

I know I'm one of those people who will never fully grow up. I will always be crashing on a friend's couch. Making the immature choice. Continuously refusing to permanently committed to anything. I'm beginning to accept this part of my personalty and apprecitating for what it is. Kind of hard to ignore a large part of your personality. I recognize my limitations and realize that I may have to pay for the time it takes me to make a decision about 'permanent' choices. I analyze and agonize over these decisions when I should just go with my gut. Nothing is truly permanent and all can be changed.

I've always known I have wanderlust... that's been evident for a long time. I hate the feeling of being trapped and lost options, hence my lack of success with relationships. I never wanted to be in the same place twice and I've learned the hard way that you can't replicate the experience you've had before.

So it doesn't surprise me that I've made the choice that I have. Instead of staying in my parent's basement for free (slacker) or buying my own place (mature), I'm renting a house.

Do I realize it's a waste of money? Yes.
Do I think it's the smartest financial decision I ever made? No.
Do I think it's the right thing to buy myself some time while I work and allow myself some personal space and freedom. YES!!!

It's time to establish myself as an adult in this town and living on my own will help with that. Plus I need to determine if I like living here as an adult. By crashing in my parent's basement, I don't take myself seriously and I know there are some other people who don't either. Plus I need my own space - it's a territory issue. It's the same reason why I'm over the roommate thing as well.

Plus, I LOVE the house. It's a cute 1910 bungalow on one of the oldest streets in town and I love the neighborhood. I can walk downtown and Sandy has a yard to play in. Fireplaces in every room, a huge front porch, a sleeping porch on the side, ceiling fans, a butler's panty, a clawfoot bathtub and the list goes on. I'm so excited and I can't wait for September 1st. I hate to move but I think this will be great...

I'll put up pictures of my new place when I can... the prior renters are currently in residence so I'm going to try not to bug them but I've driven by the past two days to check it out again. Just to make sure it's still there and to remind myself that it's mine. Well, at least for the next 12 months.

I love it...

Do you smell it? It's called FREEDOM...

No comments: