Friday, January 4, 2008

Somewhere in the Middle

I’m always in the middle. I’m the middle child of three girls. For as long as I can remember, people have been telling me that I’m in the middle (the less tactful ones then also tell me how this will f&*k me up for life). My mom has a story of putting me to bed when she is about 6 months pregnant with my little sister and I sit straight up, crying “I don’t want to be in the middle”. I’ve got a card my mom gave me about 5 years ago about being special for being in the middle. Sometimes it’s the best place to be, other times, I hate it.

As this election looms before us, I’m feeling the pressures of having to choose when I’m in the middle of all of the candidates, some of whom repulse me and none of whom inspire me. Maybe it’s a part of getting older but this is the first election in which I’ve been able to see how the game of politics will limit the candidates and their agendas.

I was talking with my friend Lera last night about how 'in the middle' we are last night... joking about how the news will have Repbulican Political strategist and then one from the Democrats' side but what we really need is someone to explain how those of us who are in the middle needs to vote. A "middle of the road" strategist if you would.

Watching the results from the Iowa caucus fascinated me - I have several friends who say the same thing, they can't seem to stop watching it. Seeing Obama take the victory was somewhat surprising and heartening at the same time. I see him as someone who can make the country come together after the most polarizing presidency ever. Witnessing a state that is 95% white vote for a man of mixed race renewed my belief in people making choices based on something other than ignorance or fear.

I was talking with my dad last night and he told me he didn't care who I voted for as long as they had an (R) behind their name. Thanks Dad! That gives me lots of options.

I actually do like Mitt Romney which I think will surprise quite a few people. I worked for the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the 2002 Winter Games as a PR intern and he was the CEO. He was well-liked, respected and a very strong presence - He also did a good job with the games during a very scary post-9/11 time. I know the state of Mass. has benefited from his role as governor. I think we might benefit from the government running like a business for a couple of years.

So as of right now, I am undecided and looking forward to seeing what is going to happen as the election ramps up over the next 11 months. I predict that it's going to get really ugly here soon folks.

No comments: